History of St. John’s
In 1880, Catholic families in Continental, Ohio, would travel to St. Joseph in North Creek for Mass. The area became a station of Antwerp in 1890 and a mission of Miller City in 1895. Shortly thereafter, mission members purchased a former Protestant chapel, moved it to Continental, and renovated it to be fit for Catholic liturgies.
“Prepare the way of the Lord, make straight His paths.”
This renovated chapel was dedicated in 1907 under the patronage of St. John the Baptist. Mass was celebrated twice a month—once on a Sunday and once during the week. The mission held its first Confirmation ceremony in 1914.
During the Great Depression, parishioners dwindled to thirty-nine people. Persevering, the parish would then attract ninety-eight people from twenty-six families by 1940. The parish grew and expanded its facilities: a new sacristy, baptistry, and sanctuary were added in 1951. In 1966, an annex and a new organ were added.
The parish was twinned with St. Barbara Catholic Church in Cloverdale in 1984, and then clustered with St. Joseph Parish in North Creek in 2001.
Under the direction of Fr. Robert Kill, construction of a new St. John the Baptist Catholic Church began in 2007. Bishop Leonard Blair dedicated the new church in 2008. This continues to serve as the church for the faithful in Continental to this day.
With continued growth, the parish continues to expand its footprint with a new addition of four catechism classrooms expected to be completed in 2026.